Saturday, September 26, 2009

Henry Coe Challenge!

Wow, that a great race! I knew this race was going to be a toughie...especially after completing the 100 last weekend, I wasn't sure how it would go. But, I was even more concerned about Bri and how she was going to make it through all of the climbs and heat that the course would throw at her for only her 2nd sport race. It seems that since she has moved up, things sure have gotten tough as we are headed into some races that go beyond the "more normal" 18ish mile sport courses!

As we climbed and descended, and climbed some more, I was pretty sure that the steep climbs were going to put Bri through everything that she had. As it was, I was spending more time in the familiar "one-one" combination that was so often used last weekend as well. Hmm, maybe I could be a single speeder after all...24x34 seems to be my preferred gearing as of late!

As we passed Gary at the half way point I knew the course would be mostly down hill so I gave it my all and was able to pass one more rider before the finish to move myself into 2nd place for my class and 3rd overall. Not bad considering the pain I inflicted 7 days earlier! I was lucky to finish where I did though because Dave Locke (Whom I have now heard on more than one occasion as being called a "Legend" of the Monterey area) was right on my tail and finished just behind me. Good thing I didn't let up!

As the clock ticked away, tired riders came in seemingly happy with their accomplishment of conquering the 5000+ feet of climbing that occurred over the 22ish mile course. Just as I was gearing up to go check and make sure Bri was still coming, she came roaring into the finish line and was the only Sport girl to complete the grueling course! I had anticipated a time of about 3.5 hours for her and she came in at almost exactly 3 hours to put in a great ride and much faster than I had expected in the heat and with all the climbing. She is really becoming a great mountain biker!

The event itself was excellent and Travis and Tamy are turning into superb race promoters offering USA cycling points/sanctioning, challenging courses and top notch customer service! He's got a few more events coming up, namely a cool sounding event at Hollister Hills that you should check out if you aren't making the trek to Weaverville.

No comments: