Friday, January 30, 2009

Suffering Galore! Day 1




Silly, silly newcomers. Here I am thinking we have 3 DAYS (maybe I am the only one thinking...errr...worrying about that) and while I admit that the ride over was a bit easier (nice tail wind, eh?) than the last time, I think that was about it! Getting over the grade Travis was figuring out the whole roadie thing pretty good and everyone else was looking good in their new Santa delivered SPEED DEMON KITS!!! I already felt faster in the new uniforms! (PS: It looks like my phone really sucks for adding pics. I will work on that for tomorrow...)
Going up the grade, it was less windy and the temperatures seemed great for climbing! I rolled out with the Masacre and Coe Boy and promptly got passed by a gaggle of speed racers, namely T-Dub (who I shall rename later...), Mr. Faulkner, a former Nemo star, and some guy that litter ally went by me so fast I don't know who in the heck it was, CHRIS. About 45m later I heard that it unfolded at the top with Polka Dot leading the charge (with a course record? Nicely done!) for the second time in a row ahead of Captain my Coach, and apparently I scared Mark enough to scoot up past Alex while I narrowly topped out above a hard charging and rapidly approaching TIME MACHINE...another 1/4 mile and he woulda had me for sure! I then found the nearest rest room while the rest of the battle unfolded, the highlight I can think of being that Smurfette met her goal of a sub 60m time!!! Congrats!
Brett and Coe Boy both did really well for their first time up the hill and I was impressed by both of their rides for sure! If we could just get Brett to spend less time talking and socializing I am sure he would go even faster!
On the way down, it was all brakes for me, but Frank and Nathan were trying to see how high a number they could put down on their speed screen and I would venture to say it involved the 50's...they were flying!
On the way back I was preparing for the sprints of doom that ripped my legs off last time, but I cramped going up the last little rise and then missed the stop sign as I watched all the fast guys ride off into the sunset. So I wish I could give you the play by play with facts, but instead I will improvise:
CB taunted everyone to attack. When no one took the bait, he shot off like a bat out of hell and everyone gave chase hoping it would end soon. Wattage was off the charts and Frank probably bent a crank with his BMX power while the skinny dudes just wished they could go back to Fremont...
I fought off leg cramps knowing that there is still plenty of time to suffer tomorrow...speaking of which, I have a date with a bad of ice and tub of cold water. Yup, the day just keeps right on sucking! Great Day 1 to everyone that was there and we look forward to more silly games tomorrow!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To answer the play by play, I passed the group as they were waiting for me to finally arrive to the top of San Juan grade(I was having severe pain in my glutes..)I slowed up near the 4 way intersection and Alex and Mark let me join in. The three of us pace lined a majority of the way back when Chris B. and Hines caught up to us as we went slowly thru town. NOt much more exiting than that, we then did a cool down to Home Depot.

Bring your legs tomorrow for some more fun!

Nathan

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! to everyone who made it out to suffer. I hope that you saved some energy for Saturday and Sunday.
I wish I could have been there but I'm sure that I'll get another shot later in the year.
Give it hell on day 2 and 3. I'll be doing the same (except on my mtb) in LA. Don't think that I haven't been training!