Saturday, January 31, 2009

Day 2 - Twice the Fun!


As I sit here in a puddle of my own drool (makes typing slippery...) one wrong move away from a full body cramp that might require ER medical attention (Keep your cell by your side Masacre!), the only way I can find the will to type is thanks to a little inspirational ditty courtesy of John Farthham and his Heart of Thunder...if you haven't seen it, the best website ever can be found here: http://www.myspace.com/cru_jones


There may not be thunder in my heart and I certainly don't have any moves resembling lightning at this point, but there is bile in my mouth and twitches of spasming pain in my legs, so that will have to do Mr. Cru Jones...On the other hand, I think everyone in the group got to taste their own bit of glory at some point today, for me it was the little things...like keeping the cramps away the whole day. James was a hero up Jacks peak for sure. That was impressive. Frank toughed it out and found his way back to the group, Nathan displayed his trademark attacks, Alex, Greg, and Coach were off the front most of the time leading the way in signature form, Shelly never backed down, The Masacre gave me tire changing lessons and then pulled me back to the group, Steve pretty much demolished everyone after the lunch break, Bri and Michele came out and banged bars and got some miles in, and my mushy brain at this point just gives huge congratulations to everyone out there that had the courage to endure!


BUT, we cannot forget the AWARD OF THE DAY. This, I think everyone will agree is without question, the most memorable, courageous and flat out RADASS move of the day. Was it James' out of the saddle attack the last 50 meters up Jacks? No. What about Alex's breakaway in Pebble? Nope. Sorry, but none of those moves could have raised the heart rate or unleashed the torrent of fury that our beloved Broom Wagon/Sag driver displayed to Mr. Redneck Pick Up Truck ASSHOLE on Laureles Grade/Robley. NEVER in my life have I seen such an attack!!! Lance Armstrong, eat your heart out because KAREN IS IN THE MOTHER FUCKING HOUSE! I don't think that guy new what hit him, but I am pretty sure he will have NIGHTMARES filled with broom toting Rover's shouting expletives that would make a sailor blush! And if those nightmares happen to continue for years and require professional intervention at a great expense to Mr. Asshole, then all the better. Karen thank you not only for that, but your support throughout has been incredible. YOU ARE THE BEST!


My last fear of the day is lingering in the back of my mind, and it constantly haunts me. The question is this...one more climb today...and that is "How in the hell will I ever CLIMB into bed?" I hope I don't cramp...


PS: Thanks for reading Mike. Even though you are in LA, you are with us in spirit and the team has been talkin' about you!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The only SAG wagon here was my lesbaru parked adjacent to the malibu beach. I wish that the crew could have joined me. NO ROAD just 1,000s of feet of mtb climbs and technical singletrack on my lovely Jamis. We've been become good friends in the absence of of my road bike. Although it doesn't find my singing quite as amusing as my friends in Monterey.

I don't know if the logistics would work but I hope that a 2nd training camp can be scheduled sometime later this year. Malibu anyone? You can ask Shelly what she thought of the rides here.

Eat well, rest well, and raise a cold beer in my general direction.

I'll see everyone soon.

Holk