Sunday, February 1, 2009

Checkered Flag - Day 3

What can be said that hasn't been said?

"This Hurts"

I think at some point in the last two days, we all murmured those words or at the very least had those thoughts. But, today the Joselyn's Pain Parade kept on rolling and I think that the definition of "This Hurts" went to new levels!

For me, I would have NEVER believed anyone, if 3 months ago, they had told me I could ride 3 hardcore days in a row on my bike. I lost count of how many times the little voice in my head urged me on "come on Butler, gut this out, it won't hurt forever" over the course of the last 3 days. And to everyone that completed these last three days, I'm glad that we were all able to answer that call to action to just keep pedaling and never stop...one pedal stroke at a time. I swear, there were times when I went so slow I don't know how I kept the forward momentum going and didn't just fall flat on my face.

Despite the grim looks and obvious pain in everyone's eyes, I think the team forged ahead with a steadfast determination and commitment that, if the other teams knew exactly what we possessed and the level we reached in the last 3 days...well I think they would be shakin' in their cleats...scared to even show up to a start line knowing the abuse we plan on inflicting this season!

Highlights from the day that I can still recall (the brain is mooosh) are: Metronome Mark and his smooth pedaling style. It seems like all weekend long he just pushed like a finely tuned Swiss watch, quiet and determined. Brett and Travis came back out for the team after doing their own thing yesterday and both rode well (good job on the rock drop Brett!). Nathan forged his own course and managed to hook back on at lunch...and that spiffy new bike! Wow, I think there might be a few more of those on the team by year end! Shelly gets big props for showing up each morning with spirit and enthusiasm ready for whatever the day held. Considering she's off her normal training regime, I think her effort was outstanding...I am pretty sure there is a Sea Otter 2009 podium in her future and the other girls better be scared! Oh, and let's not forget the smiles we got from Bri at the top of that little speed bump (hurl hill?)? She went out with the "dads" and rode the entire sea otter loop! Do I smell a "Sport" upgrade? Frank's pull up 50 at the end was perfect, Steve's consistency is sold in the same Swiss watch store as Mark's and I kept waiting for the end of ride Yeti attack, but he salvaged our souls...although Mark did throw up the VICTORY V with a leg numbing finish line sprint at the end of the day! Greg, Eric, Alex and James continued their strong riding despite numerous colossal efforts over the course of the weekend. I think the 3 of them were aided by a "Special Drink" (Did CB sign off on that drink?) at the lunch stop that was full of carbs to give them some extra boost! In fact, what exactly was CB drinking out of that fancy "liquid jersey"?

Sweet move of the day definitely goes to Frank for his sweet ridge top crossup...or is that X-up...BMX style? Inspired, Alex threw down a few good ones on the way back, too!

James requested this quote be thrown into the blog and since this DJ does take requests, the conversation went something like this at the very end when the group split:

James: "Brian, who else followed you up that trail?"
Brian, crosseyed, seeing double and with spit on his chin: "Dude... (breath)...I don't know...(breath)...I saw you and Alex go...and I just went into the bushes...(more breathes)..."

I think the re cap pretty much sucks. Guess you had to be there...

All in all, I just want to CONGRATULATE the WHOLE TEAM and give special thanks to Alex and Frank for heading up this effort. Not only was the riding incredible, but the party, food and company was fantastic last night, too! Oh, and let's not forget Robin who not only had to endure my "rough riding" but saved a few peoples bacon this weekend...including my own!

If this training camp is any indication of what's to come, then I think it's going to be one heck of a year! Everyone better watch out because the Joselyn's Pain Parade is rollin' up to a start line near you soon...VERY SOON!

PS: Mike, that "Special Carb" drink at lunch was definitely raised in your direction! To be honest the thought of another training camp right now just left a little throw up in my throat...
Time to finish watching the super bowl.

PPS: Let's all just stick to the same story that we all road on the ROAD today so the Masacre doesn't realize what he missed!

No comments: