Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Advice...

Sometimes, all you can say is something simple that, really you should already know. You know how mom used to tell you as a small child things like: "Don't run with scissors!" or "Don't touch the hot stove!" Really, did you NEED her to tell you these things? Probably not, you should just know better right? Right. Well, then stop reading right now if you already know better....

BUT, in the last 2 weeks of rainy, muddy weather, I feel like all I do is clean bikes...especially drive trains. Wipe the crap off. Check to see that it's still filthy, spin the cranks and wipe some more. Spin the cranks and apply the oil. Spin the cranks and wipe the excess. You get it. This isn't rocket science. THIS IS EASY RIGHT! YES, exactly. It's TOO easy.

Because as I was doing this process to the third bike in a row yesterday and my hands were covered in oil, grease and grime as I spun the cranks, I didn't even realize over the sound of the iPod that the soft, delicate flesh of my finger was no longer safely on the cranks, it was now BETWEEN the chain and the sprocket taking a parade loop.

"WTF!!!! OUCH MOTHER TRUCKER!!!!" As blood poured out and mixed with my greasy, oil covered finger I just stared dumbfounded that I (who I consider to have a decent mechanical background) could be more dumb than a clod of mud. So, a word to the wise, please be careful around things that spin fast and can hurt you. I will know only turn my cranks with my pedals, thus keeping my punctured (and probably infected) finger further away from the cutting teeth.

Thank you. This has been a public service announcement at my expense hopefully for your benefit...

No comments: