Sunday, February 15, 2009

Mud Fest #1




Wow, what a day of surprises! I think everyone was expecting rain, but I was pleasantly surprised that the deluge that I had expected really didn't materialize...which didn't seem to make things much easier, but I will take small victories where I can find them on a tough day like this one!


The morning race started out on time at 9am with Bri and a few kids representing the Joselyn's team and the trails were pretty good. In fact, Bri made it up a hill every lap on the pedals, whereas, I had to WALK up it every lap! Yup, she's a studette! In the end after using some technical skills to scare a few riders she ended up 4th and is hungry to improve on that result!
A little bit late, the Sports took off just after 11. Strong rides were put in all around and Frank was having so much fun that every time I saw him, he was busting sweet wheelies! Steve looked like a metronome completely unaffected by the conditions and just pedaling away, about a minute or few off of Franks wheel and Brett was right in there, too...quite possible freezing to death as EASILY the rider with the FEWEST amount of cycling clothes on. I think he talked to the Masacre about how to dress...
While they raced away, I realized that I forgot my hydro-bladder, bib, and helmet. Hmmm, is this your first race Brian? Apparently, pre-race nerves affect even seasoned racers, but first time rides in the expert class must have deleted the few brain cells normally bouncing around the vacant space between my ears....
In the end I believe (guessing here) that Frank was about top 5 overall (OA) and I know he WON HIS CLASS...and I think Steve was just behind for about 2nd. He looked really good! Brett soldiered through for a 5th, which I think is maybe his best CCCX finish! Alright Brett!

In the afternoon race, I pondered why I was even warming up because I was just getting soaked and miserable thinking, "come on, what the hell!!!" At the last minute, I swapped gloves and gogs, and that helped quite a bit. Foregoing the normal "row" start, the group rolled out en-masse and the first casualties where Travis and Mark (I heard) who got tangled and hit the pavement (OUCH!...but not like Floyd Landis). Greg got a great start and was up with the pack, while Nathan passed me like he had NOS on his XTC and I remember Alex slipping by just while I was tyring to hold position. Right away I think we were all wet, pretty much instantly brown, and ALL probably thinking that a seat on the couch with chips, salsa (don't forget the cheese dip!!!!) and a little TdCA would be A LOT better than our current "entertainment" choice for Sunday afternoon...
Not only did he miss the TdCA today, but he sat in traffic from LA and missed his Roadie Race yesterday, but Mike H. was in town, looking great and ready to splash some puddles! Bri said he looked really good racing around the track to boot! Nice appearance!

I remember during warm up with Greg and Nico, Greg was like, "Did you see the hike-a-bike?" I was like "Whatever! There aren't no hike-a-bikes out here!" Boy, was I wrong. We came around the first time at the "3rd climb" and I was pedaling, but my bike wasn't going anywhere! My rear wheel would spin and I would fight for balance and then people started running past me!!! Whaaaaat! Dam CX'ers!!! Well, I NEVER once made that hill and it was torcherous each lap, but the totally sketchy, slippery, mud rutted out decent through the ice trail...errr...ice plant was WORTH IT! Brian's plan of action on that consisted of:

1.Pedal into bushes as hard as possible.
2. Lean back...waaaay back
3. Close eyes

This technique was especially fun on laps 4 and 5 with no rear brakes! I think we can all relate...

In the end, the squad posted some strong results with the +35 class an absolute Joselyn's fest with Mark garnering 5th and Alex the numero uno position. Bri said James was really going well and looked strong through the day, which is especially impressive considering he was out at the bars and strip clubs until 2:30am. Weeeell, technically he said he was at "work", but haven't we ALL used that excuse at one point or another?

Special congrats go out to Jeff Linder who came out and despite being the only rider in his class soldiered out for a final lap when others where calling 4 laps enough. Jeff is a serious tough guy! Of course, he won his class! Nice work Jeff!

As for your author, they always say that I've been a decent mud rider and what can I say, Lance is all wrong, it's definitely ALL ABOUT THE BIKE, because my XO was just flawless today, I loved the trails, and in the end it went better than I expected. After a day like today, I think small miracles should be taken with thanks. So thanks!

Great job Team! Oh, especially to Robin, who helped me out with some knee issues before the race, thanks again! Lastly, thanks to everyone that was there helping and cheering (Karen, Smurfette, you are racing NEXT TIME!!!, just everyone out giving support, it was awesome!)Ahhh, it's a great feeling to be done, whether it's a grueling race or a tediuous race report...We'll get some better pictures up I PROMISE!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice show today Brian. I bow to the master!

Dont remember passing you ,but wasnt passing anyone after about the 3rd lap. I gots lots of work to do yet.

Hey much better blog color too!

Nathan