Saturday, February 28, 2009

CCCX#2 Race Report

Much to my dismay, and really, I was just SOOO astonished, that my informal (don't know if the idea was ever formally communicated outside of the empty space between my ears...) petition to reschedule the Expert race for Sunday to accommodate the expected storm did not happen. Hmmm, maybe next time I will have to make a bigger effort to ensure maximum carnage and mayhem in TRUE mtb racing heritage...

Aannyywaaaaay, under blue skies and perfect temps CCCX #2 got under way on what was pretty much a pancake course suitable for drafting and spinning, probably MUCH to the pleasure of most participants, save a few twisted souls like myself. Bri started the morning off right for the Joselyn's team with a SOLID VICTORY in the Beginner women's class earning some redemption for what she considered a below average showing at round #1. Nothing like a sub par finish to light a fire under your ass right? Sorry I missed your finish babe, it won't happen again...hopefully...what can I say, Robin was performing PURE magic and if you haven't been at the receiving end of his handy work, then you NEED to contact him at: (831) 869-8610, he WILL MAKE YOU RIDE FASTER AND FINISH BETTER, no question! Call and get faster, it's THAT SIMPLE!

In the sport class, Steve and Brett were holding it down for the blue train while Bill was continuing with solid rides in his new sport shoes as well. Steve chipped away and earned what I believe to be a solid 2nd although there is some dispute as to a "phantom" racer in there. Brett looked better than I have seen in a long time with a fast cadence and aggressive ride, keep up the work Brett, it will come! Every time, I saw Bill he was puttin' it down, not sure where he ended up, but would be shocked if it wasn't on the Podium!

The expert race got under way at about 1:30 and although my rain dance didn't work, things were interesting with Downieville Native Jason Moeschler making an appearance at what will probably be the flattest, least technical race he will do all year...I told him he should have showed up 2 weeks ago for the mud fest! In a great display of heart and determination, he rode right off the front and laid it on the line for all the marbles and in the end came up just a hair short finishing 3rd overall...but I thought it was a valiant effort indeed!

Trying to keep his dust insight was eventually myself, Eric, Greg, and Nico (who was feeling MUCH better!). Some bad luck saw Nico get dislocated from the group which left the three of us to do what we could...which basically meant pedal pedal pedal...In the end I just couldn't hold the pace and Eric and Greg bridged up to Jason while I came home by myself.

In the GRAND SCHEME of things, Eric won the whole ball of yarn (NICE!) Greg won his class (way to break in the Pink Panther!), I won my class, Alex worked the +35's and took home some victorious metal with Mark avoiding starting straight crashes to cash in for some 3rd place hardware, too!!! Travis kept looking around for some climbs to do, but, again just getting through a race like this is good for a climbing fiend like him and James toughed it out despite being sick to put in some solid laps of training that will benefit him later in the season I'm sure!

Not to be forgotten was another great showing by my friend Jeff Linder who continues to show up each week without equal...Seriously, who else is gonna show up to loose that that tough guy? Another week, another top step of the podium, and it couldn't happen to a nicer, more accomplished guy!

Karen, Eric's dad, Robin, Shelly, Bri, Brett, Steve, Gary, Tami, G, too!!!, Greg's family (Yup, The 'Chef and Bentley, too!) and everyone who yelled and cheered, tossed bottles and gave inspiration...thanks so much it really helps keep the pedals 'a turnin!

As for the "Big Racers!" good luck to Mike, Nathan, and The Masacre for putting in the time to hit the first Kenda Cup this weekend. I know you guys will kill it tomorrow!!!!

Great job to everyone that was there!
PS: If anyone ever needs pre-race help, just ask Jeremy or Julie that I have a SMALL amount of competence and I don't mind lending a helping hand' but I can't be responsible for what may happen to your bike! And in no way does Joselyn's officially endorse my tool spinning shenanigans!

No comments: