Monday, July 6, 2009

Pinch Me,

I must be dreaming! We just got back from what was probably one of the most fun weekends that I have had. Ever. More miles of technical single track than my bike has ever had the pleasure of shredding and I would like to say fewer crashes than I have ever had on the jet ski at the lake, but that would just be an outright lie...

Friday started out in Sierra City, looking up at the daunting 5 mile climb that starts the Downieville XC race. Brett and I headed up the climb and I instantly remembered why this race can beat you down. Heat, Steep, and loose. The climb is a challenge. Whenever I felt like it was tough, I just thought that Ross Schnell and Mark Weir pedal 6" bikes up this hill with speed I normally reserve for flat sections...Fortunately, we met up with Bri and her dad as well as our dad at Parker Saddle for the FUN PART! The next 17 miles were met with smiles, skids, and more than enough near scares (and perhaps even a few crashes) to last for a long time. Bri and Brett handled it all in stride. The "dads" both thought it was the most technical riding they have ever done. Other than the aforementioned scratches, everyone made it through unscathed and stoked at completing the infamous ride!

Saturday was the 4th and the Spiersch household was headed for their "Second Home" - Pyramid Lake, which is a huge oasis of water, beach front and aquatic fun north of Reno lying in an unsuspecting desert valley. Boats, knee boarding, and jet ski's were on the menu and they did not disappoint! Bri was on the knee board doing all sorts of tricks and helping everyone else to have fun behind the boat.

While Bri literally takes like a fish to water, I am more of a dry-lander. While she was on the lake I sat on the beach...a silent showdown occurring before me and my arch Nemesis - 'ol Mister Jet Ski...floating in the water innocent, taunting me with it's "right side up" floating capabilities, nearly speaking to me "Brian, you can ride me. You can trust me. I won't fling you off like a wild rodeo bull. Trust me..."

Sucker that I am, I took the bait. In an instant I was screaming across the lake fighting for balance and realizing the torment I put my poor dad through the day before in the steep, off camber rock infested trails of Downieville! As I fought for control, I found myself in a familiar place...crashing... with arms and legs flailing as I sprinted for the finish line, rolled up the windows, and kart wheeled through the air in one NON-fluid, spastic motion! SPLASH! "$@***!!! Jet Ski!!! Liar Liar Liar! I should have never listened to you!" Unfortunately, I was too far out into the lake to avoid my foe, for I needed his help to make it back to shore. Like your annoying co-dependent friend that always ends up back in the arms of "that loser boyfriend" I was once again up on Mr. Ski...and once again crashing to my doom. It carried on like this for quite a while because believe it or not, I actually loved every minute of it and can't wait to go back and crash some more! I know, us "co-dependents" have issues...

Sunday capped off the perfect weekend with me, Bri, her dad and friend Matt heading out to the storied "Hole in the Ground" trail and it couldn't have been more fun! Easily, one of the coolest rides I have EVER had the pleasure of completing and despite being somewhat hard to follow, I suggest if you ever have the opportunity to ride it, take advantage and do so! There is beautiful scenery, more rocks, twists, turns, and fun than any trail I can think of. Incredible!

More specifics to follow on this ride later this week. At this point, I'm exhausted and it's time to go dream about the incredible escapades of days gone by...

No comments: