Thursday, March 5, 2009

Rain Rain...

Go away...or maybe here to stay?

So today was my third day in a row of riding with soggy feet, cold hands and generally a bad attitude! What tipped me over the edge was all of the sun I could see in Carmel. I may sit waaaaay back in my office, but I can usually discern sun and happy from rain and torment. So, glancing up occasionally from projects made me smile happily knowing I would finally get a nice day of dry pedal biking in.

NO SUCH LUCK! The MINUTE, I stepped out of the garage the GIANT freakin' dark cloud over my house let loose with a torrent of rain that would make Mosses flinch. The absolute, without a doubt, BEST PART, was that NO MATTER where you looked in ANY direction it WAS SUNNY! AAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! In the few minutes it took me to meet up with Greg we were both soggy dogs and I WAS PISSED! I COULD LITERALLY SEE SUN and here we are stuck in a freakin' rain storm! Grrrr! We ended up pedaling AWAY from the rain (at least the dampness hasn't rotted out ALL of my brain cells...) and found sunshine. YAY!

Now, I know our faithful following of three fans, one goat and that strange pervert whom emails me occasionally...YOU are probably thinking "I thought BRIAN LOVES RACING IN THE RAIN! Doesn't that smart ass always want to do his rain dance to wreak havoc on the races?"

Let me be clear. RACING in the rain AND RIDING in the rain are NOT mutually exclusive. This means that I DO NOT have to endorse and/or advocate BOTH of these situations. Riding in the rain, you have NONE of the adrenaline, the will to persevere or just the general desire to kick ass and take names as RACING in the rain! Thus, RIDING in the rain takes colossal amounts of smiling, good attitude, and the ability to ignore cold feet without the nerve deadening adrenaline fuel of racing. So basically, it sucks.

What in the heck does all of this mean? Well, basically, can we please just get a break from the rain and enjoy riding our bikes in sunny California weather? I mean isn't that the reason that we tolerate overpriced dining, housing and general cost of living in order to ride year round in temperate weather? Sheeesh, how do people in Oregon, let along Wisconsin do this? I am such a wuss...

No comments: