Monday, May 18, 2009

CCCX #7 Race ReCap

With hot temperatures predicted many were having Sea Otter flash backs with nightmares of the heat robbing our precious power, energy, and most importantly (for me!!!) cramp prohibiting electrolytes. Normally, Bri has been warming up with knee and arm warmers…sometimes even a jacket – not this morning! She was ready to go in her standard Joselyn’s short sleeve jersey and shorts. She was especially anxious since she was going to start with the boys due to a lack of other women racers.


As the gun went off, the girl didn’t hesitate and got right into the mix. Nice! When she came around to the first feed zone, she was battling for position like I’ve never seen! Each feed spot she was working farther into the pack and making great strides – easily the best I have ever seen her race! She pushed the pace hard all the way to the finish and certainly won the women’s class but also made a good dent in the mens division as well. Nice job Babe!
Almost equally impressive was Emily Cerna’s finish. Not only did she bust out the full three laps, but she did so despite taking a pretty nasty spill that required us to make a mid-race repair to her trusty steed! Bruised and battered, but determined to finish she pedaled out to complete her last lap – completing the full 3 laps, exhausted, battered by the course and the heat. Nice work Emily, you gave me some extra inspiration today!
For the afternoon race, things really started to heat up to the point where Steve Kelley was circulating the course with a 200+ HR (eat your heart out Lance!!!). Wisely, he decided to pull off and let the others battle it out. But, the course was unrelenting. Brett found out that he prefers the cush of his Scott Spark to the edge of his Chameleon. Wild William Clevenger gave me some prudent advice “Brian…I’m dead. You need to REALLY drink A LOT of water!” Judging by the look of him post race, I decided to head his warning!
By 1pm, the temps were high, but fortunately, the familiar coastal wind had begun to stir and we were all hopeful that it would provide the reprieve we would need to cool down as the competition would surely heat up! The race started a bit faster than I thought it might with Aaron Bradford pushing the pace right from the get go. Greg Heinz put his sweet Giant XTC into the stalking position while the rest of the pack followed into the single track rank and file. My view from the back was pretty good and I methodically picked my way through in time to see Aaron and Greg stretching their lead.

Then at the end of the first lap (on the steep downhill) pretty much all hell broke loose. Aaron was off the trail, having suffered an untimely mechanical. Then the pack caught up with Greg who had evidently spotted a crisp $100 bill located waaaay off the trail, and deep in the poison oak…he thought he could easily stop and get it, but unfortunately it was well guarded with a surprise that resulted in an unfortunate crash.

The next lap was a parade of easily 7 riders with Greg leading the way. When we got to another sweet downhill, I just had to lead in order to hit the sweet double jump half way down (I’m such a sucker for fun!). After that point the group splintered up a bit and ended up being myself, a single speeder and another hard tail rider. We all cruised along until the single speed rider fell just a tad off the pace leaving two of us.

I was wondering where everyone had gone, and also worried, that we might suffer a late race charge from the back, but with the heat it was hard to up the pace too much. I just tried to focus and think that Travis rides in hotter temps than this all the time at Coe! Fortunately, my dead-reliable pit crew had plenty of water available each lap for me to help keep things flowing. By far, the most exciting part of the race was when Greg’s dad, Ed, blasted me with a crystal geyser bottle of water with force that I didn’t know could be achieved without pneumatic assistance! I mean, the blast of water nearly knocked me off my bike! Holy crap! Ok, I’m AWAKE now! From that point on, I figured if I could withstand the fire hose-like spray of water (NEVER has 12oz been SO effective!) then I could certainly make it to the end!


Fortunately, I was able to hold tough and pull down my first victory! Needless, to say, I was (still am!) super pumped! In the end it was ANOTHER strong day for Joselyn’s with Greg hanging tough to make the pro podium. Alex continued his winning ways, putting down a SUPER strong ride on his SUPER light Scott for another well earned victory. Mark followed home rounding out the podium. Jeff Linder put in arguably his best ride yet and earned another strong podium finish as well! A solid day indeed!




Travis and Nathan came out to do battle, while reigning women’s expert threat Smurfette, headed down south for a special road ride. I think everyone that rode on Saturday can definitely agree that win, loose, or draw, it was a beautiful day to be riding your bike! – In fact it was SO nice out that Mr. 24 Hours himself just couldn’t get enough riding and was last spotted riding off into the sunset on his trusty Specialized road bike and familiar +3 Network jersey! Jeff you are an inspiration!!!
I captured this sneaky shot of Bri taking a picture of herself...she just loves to see pictures of herself! Those beginner riders can be so vain! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice job and great report! It's good to hear you two are tearing up the circuit.

Todd